Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Two Nights of Veggies

Last night I made "Sweet & Sour Cabbage with Tofu & Grains", a recipe from the NY Times, Eating for Health series. I made a half recipe, substituted 5-spice baked tofu instead of frying my own, and served it with Udon noodles. I probably could have used a healthier grain, but the saute was almost done when I decided I did need some sort of carby addition, and the udon took only 8 minutes to cook. I have to say, it was quite delish. I had some for lunch today as well.



When I got home tonight I wanted a healthy filling dinner that wouldn't put me over my calorie limit for the day, and having a bit of time I set to cooking some Millet first thing. Since it takes 30 minutes, I like to get it (and any grain really) cooking first, then I can start on the veggies. Tonight I chopped up the carrot sticks I didn't eat at work, as well as a yellow summer squash, two zukes and the remaining half of onion from last night's saute. With a dash of canola oil, I sauted the veggies with italian seasoning, a little s&p, and served them over the millet. It was quite yummy, and I don't think I'll have to cook again until Friday night - a little break may inspire me, but right now I've been thinking about doing Cornbread and a spicy black bean chili. I've been wanting cornbread for a few days now, but I want to make it when 7abiby is here, so I don't eat the whole pan and it doesn't go stale. It doesn't last well in the freezer, so it's best to make when you've got more than one hungry mouth.

No comments: